The Diary of a Foodie

These food blogs are made up entirely from my own personal views. I do not work for, or get paid by any of the establishments that I mention.
It is a personal account based on a personal experience, and should be treated as such.
Please use the search box to search for your favourite style of food.
If you would like to suggest anywhere for me to try, please feel free to get in touch.




Sunday 5 September 2010

Chiquito/Mexican/Gateshead



We have been in the Metrocentre many many time, and eaten there nearly every time, but never at Chiquitos. However, after visiting a Chiquitos in Edinburgh and really, really enjoying it, we decided to give this one a go.

Is it tucked away in the corner, just before you go up the escalator to the Train Station in the Blue Mall, opposite Pizza Hut.

We wandered in at around 1.30pm, and were told there was a 30 minute wait for a table, which was fine. We ordered a drink and sat in the bar studying the menu. You are given a buzzer which alerts you when your table is ready.

It was only actually about 10 minutes when we were shown to our table, strangely there was loads of empty tables, around half, so I imagine the wait was a staffing issue rather than a space issue :)

The staff we have met so far in both Edinburgh and the Metrocentre have been excellent, going out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.I did have a meal in mind (Chimichangas) but there was a great lunch deal - £5.95 for one course / £7.95 for two courses / £8.95 for three courses, so we went for that instead :)

We were presented with a bowl of crispy fresh Tortilla Chips and chunky salsa while we waited for the food.



I decided on Corn On the Cob as my starter, you had a choice between Lime & Chilli Butter, or Seasoned Butter. I chose the Chilli one as I had had it in Edinburgh, but I think I got the seasoned one, nevertheless it was lovely and juicy.



Hubby had Garlic Flatbread Tostadas, and I stole a bit :) It was really good, like thin crispy pizza crust dribbled with Garlic Butter.



For mains I had Full House Burrito (Oven baked soft flour tortilla packed with Mexican spiced rice, refried beans, chilli con queso & melting Jack cheese. Topped with ancho-chilli-tomato sauce, sour cream, guacamole & smoky salsa)



Hmmmm, delicious. Gorgeous flavours going on all in one wrap. And I got a cute little green flag !! :)
Hubby had a burger, with fries (skin on), he says it was a really good burger.



We really really didn't need a pudding, but the Banana Taquito sounded way too good to miss out on !
(Banana wrapped in a cinnamon tortilla and fried until golden. Served warm with Cajeta toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream)

And it was, so glad I managed to force it down :)
Hubby had the Churros (Delicious soft dough fried until crispy. Dusted in sugar and cinnamon, with warm chocolate fudge sauce for dipping)


The bill, not including a tip was Just under £33 for two 3 course meals, two large wines and two soft drinks.

Would definately recommend this restaurant chain, so find one near you :)

The website with the menu and restaurant locations on it is...


Feel free to let me know if you have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment