The Diary of a Foodie

These food blogs are made up entirely from my own personal views. I do not work for, or get paid by any of the establishments that I mention.
It is a personal account based on a personal experience, and should be treated as such.
Please use the search box to search for your favourite style of food.
If you would like to suggest anywhere for me to try, please feel free to get in touch.




Monday 4 October 2010

The Crown/Pub Food/Carlisle



The Crown is situated out of Carlisle, along the Durdar Road and heading towards Southwaite. You drive along the country road, passing The Black Lion and what was once the White Quey, keep driving and all off a sudden there is it, blink and you will pass it :)

Have not been for years and years, the interior has been totally refurbished with modern furniture and nice fresh deco. It is very restaurant like, rather than pubby. Very clean, neat and welcoming.


We were greeted and seated with a smile and a drinks order was taken straight away.

The house wine seemed very expensive at £3.75 for a 125ml glass, which equates to £22.50 a bottle, the same wine was £13.75 for a bottle, so went with that option.

The background music was modern, a touch too loud, and a little too fast paced, smoother, softer music would have been much nicer.

We were served beautifully hot (home-made?) bread rolls and real butter, which were gorgeous, while we waited for our starters.


I chose a dish from the Specials list, which was Grilled Goats Cheese on top of a Potato Rosti, I checked their was no onions in the Rosti and after popping into the kitchen to check, the lady taking our order assured me there wasn't.



There was a little wait for our starters to be delivered, but as it was all cooked fresh we didn't mind, and when it did arrive it looked amazing.

Unfortunately, although there was no onions in the Rosti, a generous spinkling of them had been added as a layer between the cheese and the tomato, I was so dissapointed.



When the server came back a few minutes later I explained I couldn't eat it. She took it away and offered me another, but as we had waited a while, and as Hubby was nearly finished his starter I just decided to go straight onto the main. On reflection I do wish I had accepted the offer of a new one as it looked amazing.

The apologies for the mix-up came thick and fast, apparently the Chef was "gutted" that he had got it wrong. I was offered a free desert to make up for it. How nice to have such fabulous service, it guarantees a return visit.

Hubby had Garlic Pizza Bread - hand-rolled dough and cooked in an authentic oven, made it very Italian, and having stole a small piece I can say it was delicious.



For mains I went for a Pesto & Mushroom Pizza, it was as good as anything I have ever had in an Italian Restaurant, beautiful crust and quality toppings.



Hubby had his usual Gammon, which was served with two fried eggs, cooked in butter, home-made chips and a fabulous veg selection, which was perfectly cooked and seasoned.





At this point I was quite full, and had left a little pizza, so really a pudding was not necessary, but I felt it was rude to decline their kind offer so went for a Creme Brulee.


It was really good, made with raspberries and lavender sugar, it was a perfect consistancy and finished the meal off well.
Hubby had one scoop of Caramel Ice-Cream. It looked a little lost in the sundae glass, but it is all he could manage.
We will definately be back, plenty of options for Vegetarians with a Veggie section plus the pizzas and pastas.
Have a look at the website, the menus are on there as well as some photos from the refurb, directions and contact details.
Let us know if you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment